March 27, 2009

Generations Collide

As you said in your post the generations colliding in our workplaces is similar in discussion to personalities colliding. I think we have to look at the generational differences just like we look at personality differences. Each generation has strengths and weaknesses. If we can take the time to learn about these differences we can find ways to work together and support each other. Each generation has particular giftings that can contribute to the overall success of the team. The challenge for those in each generation is to realize that for them to be at their best is to realize that they (we) cannot do it alone. We have to be willing to work for and with all generations for the overall success of the team. As a GenXer I grew up working, from the time I was 12, in a family business that my grandparents owned so I learned the work ethic from those in the WWII generation that has benefited me all my life. This is just one of many instances where the strengths of another generation have been passed on to me. We should all be open and excited for any opportunity to learn from others who are strong in our weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment