November 28, 2009

Contingency Organizational Theory

The director of a school I once attended told his students in every class that, 'all meaning is context dependent.' There is not one type of leadership style that is affective over all others. Different leadership styles can be affective in different situations and with different people. In this same way organizations need to create an organizational theory that is supportive of the type of organization, the goal of the organization and the people that make up the organization. There is not a cookie cutter formula for all organizations.

For these reasons I believe the contingency organizational theory is the most applicable and useful. Each organization has a different focus that it is trying to achieve and therefore needs to be able to develop theories that are appropriate to it's situation. Contingency theories allow leaders of organizations to develop strategies that can be of the most benefit and usefulness to the organization. Without the ability to adjust for the context of the situation it could feel like a square peg going into a round hole. The theories just don't work and no matter how much effort is put out the result may not change.

I believe the contingency theory gives me the best opportunity to use my leadership skills in developing an organization that allows it's employees to grow, develop and succeed. I can develop strategies which serve my leadership styles and support the goals of the organization while establishing a system that will support these aims.

Stealing a phrase from my former director, 'all theories are organizationally dependent.' I don't think he'd mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment