August 20, 2009

Out Of Work - Compromise Ethics for Work?

I have thought through this dilemma many times and how to best address it. I cannot speak for everyone but I can relate my personal experience with this decision and why I feel the way I do.

I have been our of full time work since May of 08 with no success in finding a new job. There have been possibilities presented to me that I knew would not be a good fit for me ethically. I am in desperate need of a decent full time job but my past experience has shown me to be careful how much you compromise for the sake of making a buck.

Many years ago I was offered a job which I knew I could do and would easily support my family. The only catch I had was that the organization would not hire me unless I would agree to work on Sundays. It was a retail sales environment and weekends were their busiest times. Sunday was our family day for church and family time but the organization did not care about my personal beliefs or my family. They just cared about numbers on a paper. But I needed the job and so agreed to make this sacrifice. Within six months of working there I had lost most of my personal relationships along with the connection with my spouse. My wife and I ended up separating and almost divorcing during this time until I was able to find other employment which allowed me the flexibility to get back into the relationships I had lost.

The compromise for the benefit of the job were not worth it in the long run and during all this the organization's management was unwilling to work with me on adjusting my schedule. I had the job with the pay but almost lost everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment