August 28, 2009

Technology: Productivity, Intelligence, Hectic?

Technology has made us more productive but at what cost? When I first went to college right out of high school in 1990 I was going for an education degree to teach high school math. I enjoy math and the mental exercise it gives you. At that time the big thing was graphing calculators and every math class required the use of the calculator. Schooling, for me, up to this point had restricted the use of calculators for math so to have them required was not what I expected. Also, looking forward to being a math teacher I wanted to be able to teach the information without the use of the calculator. I had nothing against the calculator and what it could do but I felt it best to learn it first without the calculator. I searched and found the only math class on campus that was taught without the calculator as a requirement. You still used it at times but the majority of class was done with pencil and paper. This was the last time this class was offered.

I don't have anything against technology and the abilities it gives us but when it replaces the need for us to think logically and make a decision I would rather do without. I use technology every day but I could do all the same things without the technology. It may take me longer but I could get it done. The use of gadgets has made us a more hectic and busy society. We now feel that we can get so much more done because of technology that we don't even realize all that we are missing and how busy we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment