April 15, 2010

A-E-I-O-U Conflict Management

Is the A-E-I-O-U conflict management model an effective approach? Why or why not? Describe an instance in your personal or professional life when you have used the A-E-I-O-U Model. Explain how using this model helped you avoid a potentially hurtful situation.
When in the midst of a conflict sometimes the best course of action is to step away from the situation and evaluate. Doing this will provide an opportunity for clear thinking and understanding of the origin of the conflict. This process is benefited by the A-E-I-O-U conflict management approach. The approach provides methods for effective conflict management that may not otherwise be achieved.

Through a previous position of mine I was part of a downtown business association in which one of our members chaired an event of which we had some financial concerns. As the discussion was brought up in a meeting I was leading it could have very easily turned into personal attacks on this individual. Using the A-E-I-O-U process I stepped back from the conversation and assumed that everyone meant well, which they did. I then express the situation to the group from another perspective so that they could see it from a liability standpoint and not a personal decision standpoint. We then identified what we wanted to see which was unbiased conversation and appreciation of the need for financial disclosure. The group then decided the outcome which was necessary was full financial disclosure to the group because we were all accountable to the decisions being made. Lastly the discussion was had to insure that everyone understood the need for openness and cooperation in the group in order to insure our success and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment