May 22, 2009

The Impact of Virtual Organizations

For my previous employer I did sales through phone and email communication. I am located in Ohio and the offices were located in North Carolina so I did all the work from a home office. I worked this way for 8 years. I set my schedule and managed my time from an office at home. This set-up was necessary for me to do the job for the organization but more often than not I was envied by my fellow co-workers. They thought it must be wonderful to work from home and not have to commute to work. They failed to realize the negative aspects of this in contrast to the positive.

Although I did not have to commute to work, I was always at the office. They look at it as working from home where at times it felt more like living at the office. You couldn't call in sick. Vacation days were a waste. These were all things that made it a challenge to enjoy working from home. I enjoyed the freedom to do this but at time missed the traditional office environment.The changes in virtual business practices give the opportunity for more freedom in the workplace that in turn can turn into more committed and motivated employees

No comments:

Post a Comment