May 15, 2009

My Leadership Style

I enjoy the study of psychology and looking at how people respond to situations. The strategy of how a team works together and compliments each other is a challenge that I enjoy developing. I have worked very hard to develop my abilities to read people and figure out what pushes their buttons to get the most out of my team. I believe that there is no blanket method for motivating a team that will work for everyone on the team. Some people respond better to one method over another. This enjoyment of psychology and reading people has developed into my leadership style.

I was not aware of the terminology and names of the different leadership theories. Looking over the three theories my philosophy most closely matches up with the Hersey and Blanchard's situational theory. Having used the theory, without knowing that I was, I can't imagine not taking a persons psychological and job maturity into account when leading a team. I think the LMX theory contributes to the functions of a good leader but I believe it should be used in conjunction with other theories not on it's own. Again, I also see the benefits of the Path-Goal theory but as a tool for leaders to use not as a stand-alone method of leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment