September 9, 2009

Ethics Development Through Life Experience

Through my life experiences and background I have been exposed to many environments and circumstances that have played a part in shaping my personal ethics standards. I grew up in a family where my parents seemed to get along just fine and had no significant problems only to realize (after I had left home for college) that there were major issues which ultimately led to divorce. This divorce occurred one month prior to my wedding. Three years into my marriage when struggles arose my wife and I did not know where to turn and although deep down we didn't believe in divorce having seen my parents go that route now made it seem like a viable option. Had I not had the experience of seeing my parents go through this I don't think I would have considered it an option.

On and off over the next two years my wife and I both filed divorce papers only to cancel them at the last minute. We ultimately decided this was not what we wanted out of our lives and made the choice to work it out. We have been happily married since and are better for it. We now have a deeper appreciation for the struggles and pressures on marriage and have welcomed opportunities to share our experience if it will help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment