September 6, 2009

Personal & Professional - Working From Home

Having worked from home from 2001 until 2008 I can say that the personal and professional lines can get blurred. When you work outside the home you act in way that is representative of the culture in which you work. Working at home is much the same way except that your 'co-workers' are your family. The way I interacted with my family was not the same as how I would interact with co-workers outside of my home. There is an expectation, when you work from home, that you don't have to be as rigid in your attire, schedule and communication. This can be a tough balance because in the midst of all this you still have a job to do.

I actually found working from home to be very frustrating at times. Working at home you never leave the office (you can't really call in sick), you don't have interaction with other staff and I actually worked longer hours than if I worked outside the home. When I did it I had an office that was just for work so that I could leave my job at the end of the day and close the door behind me. Didn't always work that way but when I needed it to it was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment