September 2, 2009

Individual & Group Ethics - Differences

Within the setting of group ethics the dynamic is much more challenging than individual ethics. Group ethics require guidelines to be in place that take into account the individual ethics of everyone in the group. An individual's ethics are made up of past experiences, family influences and cultural influences. When you bring a group of people together the group ethics are made up of multiple past experiences, various family influences and numerous cultural influences.

Through my work I oversee a division of our organizations before and after school care programs. I work with local school administrators, teachers and parents to develop programs that are beneficial and supportive of the educational development of the children. The group ethics involved in working with these programs have to take into account the needs of each group that is involved with and affected by the actions of the group. This dynamic is much different than my individual ethics in that my wife and I homeschool our children. It is not that we feel it is wrong for children to attend public school it is just that we feel it is our calling to homeschool our family. My individual ethics are similar in many areas but the tools we use to facilitate those ethics are very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment